Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A vegan diet may help...


To read more about my vegan diet, check out my other blog


So, I am a vegetarian, and therefore quite excited to read about the new Swedish study claiming that a vegan diet, paired with a gluten-free diet, might be helpful for reducing heart attacks and strokes in Rheumatoid Arthritis patients. I am taking this as good news because of the similarities doctors always compare with PA. I am already halfway there, and perhaps I should try the gluten-free thing (although I have tried a few gluten-free items in the past, and they were not very tasty). Even if this only pertains to RA sufferers, I am glad to hear researchers are thinking outside the box when it comes to arthritis. Here is a link to the article... http://www.news-medical.net/?id=36473

Yesterday (the day I decided to start this blog) I was at about a 7 on a 1-10 pain scale, and by night time I was up to an 8 (9 and 10 being the point where I start cursing god and wondering if I will be able to stand walking in another 20 years). The worst part was that it's completely my fault. You see, about 6 years ago my knee pain started, and I assumed it was a sports injury. My right knee hurt the worst, yet I never went to the doctor. About 2 years later I was experiencing ridiculous pain in both knees and feet. I went to a podiatrist and he fixed me up with an expensive pair of orthopedic inserts, and banned me from ever wearing cute strappy sandals ever again. It was a sad day, but I realized soon enough (the next time I was tempted to wear a pair of flip flops in the middle of the summer and traipse downtown) that his advice was totally warranted, my feet hurt like CRAZY and my knees were throbbing, all because I didn't wear those stupid inserts.
Well, sometimes I like to test my bones out (I am beginning to question my sanity) and not wear them, and yesterday was one of those days. What is worse, is that I am spending a month in Jamaica this summer to study, and while I am scared of the hikes we will be taking I know I can handle the pain as a trade-off for the experience (I am sure I will talk more about this in upcoming blogs), what I am unsure about is my temptation to throw on a pair of flip flops and head to the beach like every other "normal" person on the island. I suppose we'll have to see what I decide to do, but for now, I am wearing those suckers every moment a shoe even touches my feet, because I could use just a couple less "8" days in my life.

No comments: